I was thinking of this mechanic for a computer game I’m writing, but its with certain roleplay goals in mind.
Okay, first of all its a bit like god of wars mini game kills – there’s a sequence of moves, remember them all and so far, so good.
Okay, on the final one (or maybe two), what I’m thinking of is that your not shown the correct move (out of a selection of four options, or some such number). Behind the scenes, one of the moves has 100% success rate, while all the others have a, say, 85% success rate.
So a player would be guessing the last move – but if it works, he doesn’t actually know if he got it right or if he chose an 85% one, but got lucky. And at 85%, it’s not hard to get lucky!
Further, as is often the case in RPG’s, these combats will happen more than a few times. If the player chooses the same last move as last time, and it was an 85% one, it actually increases its chance by 5%!!! (or perhaps 10%, I dunno yet)
This means not only does he not know whether he got the right one by the game, but also the one he chose starts to become the right answer. Indeed, it can go up to the full 100%! Becoming a perfectly correct answer!
Finally, I’m not sure when or if the true answer should ever be revealed? The gamist in me says yes – but for the full effect of this mechanic, it would at least have to be once there are two 100% results. And perhaps even then, just show the two that are 100%, and the GM keeps a secret forever which one was the actual original answer!?
Tommi, if your reading, I’d like to hear your feelings on this. I think it might be something which is kind of in your area of preference. It might not be as well, but I’m curious about your evaluation?
Edit: And I’ve coded up a rough presentation of it – link